Winscribe reaches end of life - what should I do?
Lack of support - potential issues and concerns
With support for the cloud-based version of Winscribe ending in just a few months and the on-premises version also scheduled to reach end of life at the end of June 2024, what are the key challenges that existing users will face?
One of the main areas of concern is that the software will no longer be supported or receive updates. And with cybercrimes rising at an alarming rate, this should be a red flag for all concerned.
As any security expert will tell you, software that is not updated is a hacker’s dream. Old and outdated software is particularly vulnerable to cyber criminals, giving them the opportunity to attack and infect your computer systems, and steal or encrypt your sensitive data.
All of which puts your digital dictation system and the documents associated with it at a heightened risk of a data breach or other form of cyberattack. Given that the key markets for digital dictation are healthcare and legal, with the range of sensitive and confidential information involved, the result of any form of data breach would be extremely damaging for all parties concerned.
Other reasons why it is vital that you use updated software include:
- Get new features: Installing updates often adds new and improved features designed to make the end-user experience better. Technology is constantly changing, and updates offer the latest capabilities and improvements.
- Ensure compatibility: Software manufacturers send updates to ensure their software is compatible with the latest technology. Without updates, older software may not be able to work with newer technology.
- Address issues: Software vendors may find bugs in a program or need to make necessary enhancements to a program. These patches help improve the performance of the software.
- Adhere to compliance requirements: Certain compliance requirements may mean that you are required to only run up-to-date solutions. Given that many dictation solutions operate in highly regulated sectors such as healthcare and legal, this could be particularly problematic.
Factors to consider in any potential solution
There are several factors to consider when looking for a new dictation provider, including:
- First, you want a supplier with a proven track record for delivering high quality and reliable solutions.
- The supplier should understand your needs and be able to deliver solutions capable of addressing these. In particular, they should have experience of dealing with similar size businesses, operating in the same sectors as your own.
- The solution should be scalable and flexible, so that as your business grows, the dictation system can scale to meet your changing needs. Ensure that the supplier has the infrastructure, support and resources needed to keep up with your growth plans.
- The supplier should also be capable of delivering solutions that address key requirements. For example, do you have specific system integration requirements and if so, what are the integration capabilities offered.
- What level of training and support will the selected supplier offer – this is particularly important as you will be migrating from one dictation solution to another, so support for your users should be a key issue.
How Philips can help
As one of the leading players in all aspects of dictation hardware and software, Philips serves millions of satisfied customers around the globe, with its software platform for voice-based document creation combining best-in-class workflow and industry-leading speech recognition.
And this expertise is reflected in the fact that Nuance actually recommends Philips dictation solutions as a successor to its Winscribe software.
Importantly, Philips provides fully cloud-based solutions as well as on-premises options, mirroring the Winscribe offerings. Whatever your requirements, Philips can provide a high-quality solution. Whether this in the office, on the go using an intuitive mobile app for iOS and Android, or in hybrid working environments. It will cater for your dictation and transcription workflows or speech recognition, whilst utilising any infrastructure you already have in terms of both hardware and software.
In addition, you can benefit from easy setup and maintenance procedures thanks to active directory integration which provides administrators with centralised user and rights management, as well as centralised control over computer and user configurations.
Ensuring a successful migration
Here are our five key steps to migrating your dictation solutions successfully:
1.Select the right vendor
Philips is a leading provider of dictation solutions on a global basis, with millions of satisfied customers in the legal, healthcare and public sectors.
2. Choose best solution
The Philips software and hardware solutions ensure a future-proof platform for best-in-class dictation and speech-to-text workflow.
3. Plan the migration
Work with an experienced team and directly with the vendor to ensure that even extensive data migrations run smoothly.
4. Enable efficient onboarding
Philips has a worldwide network of certified partners that will provide your users with the necessary hardware and software training to ensure they get onboard quickly.
5. Ensure long-term support
Philips can provide the service levels your business needs on a global level and has a decade-long track record of being a reliable partner.
To find out more about our cloud computing software Philips SpeechLive click here: Philips SpeechLive converts your speech to text - Philips SpeechLive
Alternatively, you can try it now: